Leeds for Change
How did you start making change in Leeds?
Did someone take you along to a protest? Did you see a poster for a meeting and get chatting to someone after? Did you see something that made you angry and start your own group?
Lots of people don’t make it. They might read a story about the mistreatment of asylum seekers, think that’s terrible but not know how to start taking action. They might be facing the bedroom tax, but not know that there are others out there who are fighting it together.
We want to make it easy.
We want to create a website where you can find out about all the wonderful campaign and action groups in Leeds, so that whatever you want to change, you can find others like you.
We also want to use this website to help already existing groups better share resources, skills and events so that we can make a massive movement for social change in Leeds.
So what’s the plan?
To build a ‘hub website’ for social action in Leeds to better share resources, provide a make it easy for people to get involved and to connect action for social change. It will be open to all charities, third sector groups, trade unions, political, faith, campaigning, discussion and cultural groups, and individuals who support its core values of justice, equality and solidarity.
The site will feature:
– a shared calendar of social change events in Leeds
– a page on each group in the city who joins
– campaign pages
– a Skill Share resource to up-skill your group or share skills you’ve already got
– ways to message other members of the site to start campaigns
– online campaign resources including map of cheap/free meeting spaces, shared equipment, an e-petition facility plus lots more
– a blog
– an archiving project of radical action in Leeds – let’s learn our history!
– daily inspiration
Want to know more?
Get in touch through Tidal: hello[at]leedstidal.org and put ‘Leeds for Change’ in the subject heading. We particularly welcome getting in touch if you are from a group that would like to join. We’re very happy to meet up and talk about it all – as we’re still developing the website, now’s the time to help make it great!